I have never met Andy Andrews, the author of one of my new favorite books, The Traveler’s Gift. However, I feel a very deep connection with his story of the seven decisions that determine success. His book is, by far, one of the best self-development, motivating, and inspirational books I have ever read (besides Common Sense Selling).
Reading about these decisions motivated and inspired me so much that I decided to share some of the main points with you.
You have the ability to incorporate into your life these seven decisions that will determine your personal success. Below are very brief excerpts of each decision; I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
1. THE BUCK STOPS HERE: I will not let my history control my destiny. I accept responsibility for my past. I am responsible for my success. My decisions have always been governed by my thinking. I control my thoughts. I control my emotions. My thoughts will be constructive, never destructive.
2. I WILL SEEK WISDOM: I will train my eyes and ears to read and listen to books and recordings that bring about positive changes. I will read and listen only to what increases my belief in myself and my future. I will choose to associate with people whose lives and lifestyles I admire. I will listen to the counsel of those who are wise. By learning from other people’s wisdom, I add their knowledge and experience to my own and dramatically increase my success. I will not look for someone to open my door; instead, I will seek to open the door for someone else.
3. I AM A PERSON OF ACTION: I will create a new future by creating a new me. I inspire others with my activity. I am a leader. Knowing that laziness is a sin, I will create a habit of lively behavior. I will walk with a spring in my step and a smile on my face. My activity will create a wave of success for the people who follow me. As a leader, I have the ability to encourage and inspire others to greatness. I do not fear failure, because failure exists only for the person who quits. I do not quit. I am courageous. I am a leader. I seize the moment. I choose now.
4. I HAVE A DECIDED HEART: I am passionate about my vision for the future. The power to control my direction belongs to me. Today I will begin to exercise that power. I will awaken every morning with an excitement about the new day and its opportunities for growth and change. Yes, I have a dream. It is a great dream. My hopes, my passions, my vision for the future are my very existence. A person without a dream never had a dream come true. My course has been charted, and my destiny is assured.
5. TODAY I WILL CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY: Happiness is a choice. I am enthusiastic about each day. I am alert to its possibilities. I will become the master of my emotions. I will greet each day with laughter. I know that enthusiasm is the fuel that moves the world. The world belongs to the enthusiastic, for people will follow them anywhere! My smile has become my calling card. It is, after all, the most important weapon I possess. I am the possessor of a grateful spirit.
6. I WILL GREET THIS DAY WITH A FORGIVING SPIRIT: By the act of forgiving, I am no longer consumed by unproductive thoughts. I will forgive those who have criticized me unjustly. I now understand that forgiveness has value only when it is given away. I forgive their lack of vision, and I forge ahead. I now know that criticism is part of the price paid for leaping past mediocrity. I will forgive those who do not ask for forgiveness. From this day forward, my history will cease to control my destiny. I have forgiven myself. My life has just begun.
7. I WILL PERSIST WITHOUT EXCEPTION: I possess the greatest power ever bestowed upon mankind. I hold fast to my dreams. I stay the course. I do not quit. I acknowledge that most people quit when exhaustion sets in, but I am not “most people.” I am stronger than most people. Average people compare themselves with other people, and that is why they remain average. I compare myself to my potential. I am not average. I see exhaustion as a precursor to victory. By persisting without exception, my outcome—my success—is assured.